November 20, 2012

Jennifer Lawrence on Katniss, Harry Potter, and Catching Fire

Jennifer Lawrence talked about a lot of things in her recent interview with The Daily Beast. These things include Catching Fire, being Katniss, being a Harry Potter fan and meeting Daniel Radcliffe, and her latest flick "Silver Linings Playbook."

Here's some excerpt from the movie:

How long have you been shooting Catching Fire?
Two months. I think we’re halfway through. I only get to depression when these movies end. I have so much fun doing them.
Had you read the books?
Yeah. I read the books and then I found out they were making them into movies. It’s kind of nerve wracking to join something that huge. I had chosen my path. I was going to be the indie actor. I was going to drive my kids in a minivan and have a normal life. I knew if I said yes to this, it would change my life. I wasn’t sure if I was ready.
Did you actually seriously think about turning down the role?
Yeah. I had about three days [to think about the offer]. I was much more on the side of no than I was yes. If I’m honest with myself, the thing that was driving me to do the auditions was actually being competitive. Everybody wanted it. I wanted to give my best.

Why did you finally agree to play Katniss? 

My mom told me I was being a hypocrite. Then I realized if I was going to be well known for something, this was actually something I would be proud of.
Why is Katniss is a good role model for girls?
She’s this Joan of Arc that doesn’t see herself that way. She kind of grows into it. And she’s strong like a male hero with a vagina. It’s good for our 13-year-olds. I probably shouldn’t have said vagina, but you get what I’m saying. Vagina! If you’ve got it, shout it.
I read somewhere—and this could be totally wrong—that you’re a Twihard.
That’s so funny. I read the book when it first came out. I was like, “Fuck, yeah, this is awesome.” I’m more of a Harry Potter freak. I read all the books three or four times. I know every spelling or incantation. I end up speaking sometimes in Harry Potter terms.
Have you ever met Daniel Radcliffe?
Yeah, I screamed in his face. We were both doing Letterman. I grabbed him by the shoulder. Of course, I’m in 6-inch heels. That makes me 6-foot-4. I’m towering over him, saying, “I love Harry Potter!” His security people were nodding to each other—should we go?
You’ve been with your boyfriend Nicholas Hoult for two years. Did he pursue you?
Neither of us did. It’s really funny. I’ve never had anything like it, where I was like, “Yeah, this is awesome. Let’s do this all the time.” We were such good friends. We liked hanging out, hanging out turned to dating. There was never that awkward period. We just both liked being around each other so much.
Do you still think you’re going to get married and have kids?
Well, yeah. It’s so weird for a 22-year-old to say it. I do feel like the reason I was put on this Earth is to be a mother, which is why it’s funny for me to end up with such an overwhelming career. Every since I was a baby, I was always playing house.
Are you gearing up for awards season now? Its sort of like planning a wedding.
I don’t know. I’ve never planned a wedding before. It’s one of those things, when you read the first review and it’s glowing, and everybody keeps hinting it’s going to happen. I think it will be a lot better this year, now that I can drink. I honestly think that was the worst part. You can’t sit through the Golden Globes without drinking. I was the only sober one there listening to every word. It was so cold that at one point, I wrapped myself up in the train of my dress and then I saw myself pop up on the screen. I started smiling but my teeth were chattering. It probably looked like I was secretly crying, as if I thought I had a chance.
What about the Oscars?
The Oscars are awesome. It’s the last awards show. You’re cutting loose. They sing and dance and have exciting lights.
People are saying you’re going to win this year.
I really did not know that. I’ve got to start Googling myself.
If you wish to read the full interview, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment