January 21, 2013

Sam Claflin Talks About Finnick, His Costars and More Catching Fire Experiences

Future Radio UK has interviewed Sam Claflin and the British actor has a lot to tell about Catching Fire. Find out from the excerpt below or if you wanted to hear Sam's voice, head over to this site.

On his character Finnick:

I mean for me, I was already kinda cast! He definitely stuck out somewhat but for all the wrong reasons. Very selfishly, that was the only character I really cared about [laughs]. But the great thing about the books is that Suzanne Collins created these great arcs for each and every character, no matter, I mean from Katniss all the way down to her sister, to her mother. You know, each character goes on a journey. And I think that’s what’s so riveting about the books themselves.

 On meeting the expectations of fans:
 I mean I have to say the pressure is on. I mean, I’m a member of Twitter and especially when it was first announced there was a huge backlash. Some positive and some very negative. You know people were sort of saying they wanted to kill themsleves and that I wasn’t anywhere near good-looking enough. Everyone has their own perceptions of what a good-looking person is and basically all I can do is do my best and you know, you have to kind of not read the bad press or whatever. You have to keep focusing and working hard and the moment you channel that out I just had fun really. And it was hard work, it was definitely, definitely hard work. I was eating chicken and asparagus twice a day, every day. Not including all the other meals I was forced to have each day. And then working out two or three times a day. I didn’t really have a life but when I was on set there was a great dynamic between the cast and crew and when you’re on a set in the middle of Hawaii, you don’t really care about what other people think [laughs]. I enjoyed the moment when I was in the moment. You know, I’m still reading negative feedback but what can I do – I can’t change my face! [laughs]

On meeting Director Francis Lawrence:
He was one of the first people I met when I arrived in America. And we had a sit down, we talked through the script, about the novels, about the previous film. I know he wasn’t the director on that but we talked about the flaws and ways of improving or developing the characters’ arc. And obviously the unfortunate thing about a film version is that they are trying to make this accessible to a younger audience, therefore there are certain aspects that you can’t include. One being Finnick Odair wearing just the net or just a knot covering his crotch. That was something that we couldn’t, unfortunately, include. But, you know, I’m scantily clad and hopefully people will still be happy!

On working with his costars:

It’s one of these things that gets through you, goes straight through you. I mean, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, even with Jennifer Lawrence who’s just won a Golden Globe and what have you! I am lucky enough to be surrounded by some of the best actors that are living.

On the accidents in filming Catching Fire:
There really has. This is a question I don’t really know how much I can talk about. I was specifically asked not to mention some of the accidents that happened on set. All to do with me, I have to say… Let’s just say I am a very, very clumsy person. There was fall, after fall, after fall, after fall. We basically, me and Francis the director, we were laughing that there would be a DVD extra, a whole DVD on it’s own for the blooper reel – just for me! Because every time he’d say action, just before we had to a fight, I would flip over or fall. And even when I was standing still I’d manage to fall over. There were plenty of accidents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment