January 04, 2012

Hunger Games Trilogy Quotes -- From the Second Book Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Gale means to, but he’s only got his Sundays, and I think he likes saving those for you.  Hazelle Hawthorne, p. 9

I…become a little fixated on his eyelashes…they're a light golden color and so long I don’t see how they keep from getting all tangled up when he blinks.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 161

Yeah, yeah. No question, he’s the superior one in this trio. Katniss Everdeen, p. 178

I can’t fight the sun. I can only watch helplessly as it drags me into a day that I’ve been dreading for months. Katniss Everdeen, p. 3

If it were up to me, I would try to forget the Hunger Games entirely. Never speak of them. Katniss Everdeen, p. 3

Not only are we in the districts forced to remember the iron grip of the Capitol’s power each year, we are forced to celebrate it.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 4

I mourn my old life here. We barely scraped by, but I knew where I fit in… Katniss Everdeen, p. 7

You’re hideous, you know that right? Katniss Everdeen, p. 7

Let’s show a little district pride for a change, Miss Everdeen. Hm? Darius, p. 11

Look if you wanted to be babied, you should have asked Peeta. Katniss Everdeen, p. 14

Just the sound of his voice twists my stomach into a knot of unpleasant emotions like guilt, sadness and fear. And longing. I might as well admit there’s some of that too. Katniss Everdeen, p. 14

Asked you to wake me without giving me pneumonia. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 15

Peeta keeps all of us in fresh baked goods. I hunt. He bakes. Haymitch drinks. Katniss Everdeen, p. 15

Brr. You two have go a lot of warming up to do before showtime. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 15

Then he turns and my heart skips a beat. I’m staring into the snakelike eyes of President Snow. Katniss Everdeen, p. 17

I outsmarted his sadistic Hunger Games, made the Capitol look foolish, and consequently undermined his control.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 18

All I was doing was trying to keep Peeta and myself alive. Any act of rebellion was purely coincidental. Katniss Everdeen, 18

I think we’ll make this whole situation a lot simpler by agreeing not to lie to each other. President Snow, p. 19

I have a problem, Miss Everdeen. A problem that began the moment you pulled out those poisonous berries in the arena. President Snow, p. 20

It must be very fragile, if a handful of berries can bring it down. Katniss Everdeen, p. 22

Katniss Everdeen, the girl who was on fire, you have provided a spark, that left unattended, may grow into an inferno that destroys Panem.  President Snow, p. 23

I had to do that. At least once. Gale Hawthorne, p. 27

Aim higher in case you fall short…Convince me. President Snow, p. 29

By the way, I know about that kiss. President Snow, p. 29

What does he do? Drink it? Katniss Everdeen, p. 30
 
The trouble will start when my prep team sees how I’ve let my eyebrows grow back in. Katniss Everdeen, p. 31

Gale’s already so angry and frustrated with the Capitol that I sometimes think he’s going to arrange his own uprising.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 33

Katniss, your eyebrows! Venia, p. 35

I don’t have a talent, unless you count hunting illegally, which they don’t.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 39

No, you aspire to design your outfit and be like me, your fashion hero. Cinna, p. 40

You’re bringing earmuffs back in style.  Cinna, p. 41

underneath all that, I can feel the steadiness that Peeta brings to everything. And I know I’m not alone. Katniss Everdeen, p. 42

I nod. He means there’s only one future, if I want to keep those I love alive and stay alive myself. I’ll have to marry Peeta. Katniss Everdeen, p. 44

I was jealous of him before I even officially met you. Peeta Mellark, p. 51

I thought if I stopped being so, you know, wounded, we could take a shot at just being friends. Peeta Mellark, p. 51

Isn’t it strange that I know you’d risk your life to save mine…but I don’t know what your favorite color is? Peeta Mellark, p. 52

A bit more muted. More like. . . sunset. Peeta Mellark, p. 52

It’s good to feel his fingers entwined with mine again, not for show but in actual friendship.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 52

I don’t know what I expected. Larger versions of the flower cookies maybe. But this is something entirely different. Peeta has painted the Games. Katniss Everdeen, p. 53

Wanna see my talent? Cinna did a great job on it.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 54

Everything beautiful brings her to mind. I see her in the yellow flowers that grow in the Meadow by my house. I see her in the mockingjays in the trees. But most of all I see her in my sister Prim. Katniss Everdeen, p. 61

Thank you for your children. And thank you all for the bread. Katniss Everdeen, p. 61

Every person in the crowd presses the three middle fingers of their left hand against their lips and extends them to me. Katniss Everdeen, p. 61

So, after all we went through in the arena, don’t I even rate the truth from you? Peeta Mellark, p. 66

I thought since he was determined to protect you, well, between the three of us, we might be able to bring you home. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 67

…it would be one thing if I had planned to stir things up, but given the circumstances…how on earth did I cause so much trouble? Katniss Everdeen, p. 68

Was that really the only time you kissed Gale? Peeta Mellark, p. 70

If my holding out those berries was an act of insanity, then these people will embrace insanity, too.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 72

But every night I let him into my bed. We manage the darkness as we did in the arena, wrapped in each others arms, guarding against dangers that can descend at any moment. Katniss Everdeen, p. 72

In that one slight motion, I see the end of hope, the beginning of the destruction of everything I hold dear in the world.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 75

…if desperate times call for desperate measures, then I am free to act as desperately as I wish. Katniss Everdeen, p. 75

I act delighted, but I have zero interest in these Capitol people. They are only distractions from the food. Katniss Everdeen, p. 78

You mean this will make me puke? Peeta Mellark, p. 79

I’m speechless, staring at the pretty little glasses and all they imply. Katniss Everdeen, p. 79 

Peeta, they bring us here to fight to the death for their entertainment. Really, this is nothing by comparison. Katniss Everdeen, p. 80

It’s another Mockingjay. Exactly like the pin on my dress. Only this one disappears. Katniss Everdeen, p. 83
 
My nightmares are usually about losing you. Peeta Mellark, p. 86

I can only be witnessing one thing. This is what President Snow calls an uprising.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 89

I do think your mad and I’ll still go with you. Gale Hawthorne, p. 96

I love you. Gale Hawthorne, p. 96
Well, with an uprising in District Eight, I doubt he’s spending much time choosing my wedding cake! Katniss Everdeen, p. 99

You haven’t hurt people — you’ve given them an opportunity. They just have to be brave enough to take it. Gale Hawthorne, p. 99

I don’t want anything they made in the Capitol. Gale Hawthorne, p. 100

Peeta, if I asked you to run away from the district with me, would you?  Katniss Everdeen, p. 102
 
I don’t care if she blew up the blasted Justice Building!  Look at her cheek! Think this will be camera ready in a week. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 107

…in the Hob, the standard protocol for someone showing up with a wild turkey is for everybody to bid on the drumsticks.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 108

I’m filled with awe, as I always am, as I watch her transform from a woman who calls me to kill a spider to a woman immune to fear.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 111

I can see where every stroke of the lash landed and feel it resonate in the single cut on my face. Katniss Everdeen, p. 113

Who are you, anyway, to decide how much pain he can stand! Katniss Everdeen, p. 114

Gale is mine. I am his. Anything else is unthinkable.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 117

I knew good and well that my life back in District 12 would be unlivable if I let that boy die. Katniss Everdeen, p. 117

No wonder I won the games. No decent person ever does. Katniss Everdeen, p. 117
The berries. I realize the answer to who I am lies in that handful of poisonous fruit. Katniss Everdeen, p. 118

Could it be the people in the districts are right? That it was an act of rebellion, even if it was an unconscious one?  Katniss Everdeen, p. 118

Life in District 12 isn’t really so different from life in the arena. At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead. Katniss Everdeen, p. 118

I’m not going anywhere. I’m going to stay right here and cause all kinds of trouble. Katniss Everdeen, p. 119

Go on up to bed, Katniss. I’ll look after him now. Peeta Mellark, p. 120 

I wish that Peeta were here to hold me, until I remember I’m not supposed to wish that anymore. Katniss Everdeen, p. 121 

I need only to think of Prim and all my resolve disintegrates. It’s my job to protect her. Katniss Everdeen, p. 122

I can’t let the Capitol hurt Prim. And then it hits me. They already have. Katniss Everdeen, p. 122

Prim…Rue…aren’t they the very reason I have to try and fight? Katniss Everdeen, p. 123 

Gale is right. If people have the courage, this could be an opportunity. Katniss Everdeen, p. 123

Words. I think of words and I think of Peeta. Katniss Everdeen, p. 124

I really can’t think about kissing when I’ve got a rebellion to incite. Katniss Everdeen, p. 126

I want to start an uprising. Katniss Everdeen, p. 127

Do you know she asked me to give you away? I told her the sooner, the better. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 128

…avoiding a stroll by the Hob…that’s going to fix things for me? Peeta Mellark, p. 131
 
It’s a small white circle of flat bread. More of a cracker, really. Gray and soggy around the edges. But an image is clearly stamped in the center of it. It’s my Mockingjay. Katniss Everdeen, p. 135

Part II:  “The Quell”

A Mockingjay. Just a glimpse of it as it flies by. The same one every time. Twill, p. 147

But then…if there are people in District 13, with powerful weapons… Katniss Everdeen, p. 147

I can’t believe we actually got to meet you. You’re practically all anyone’s talked about since… Bonnie, p. 149
 
Yes, my holding out the berries had been the spark, but I had no way to control the fire. Katniss Everdeen, p. 149
 
Easier to ask where I haven’t been. Katniss Everdeen, p. 155

This is why they’ve made it this far, Haymitch and Peeta. Nothing throws them. Katniss Everdeen, p. 156 

I’m sure we’ll all sleep a little more soundly now that security has addressed that lapse. Katniss Everdeen, p. 157

But I don’t want him to go. In fact, I want him to climb in with me, to be there when the nightmares hit tonight. Katniss Everdeen, p. 159

‘Stay with me.’ As the tendrils of sleep syrup pull me down, I hear him whisper a word back, but I don’t quite catch it. Katniss Everdeen, p. 159

I like to watch his hands as he works, making a blank page bloom with strokes of ink… Katniss Everdeen, p. 161

You know, I think this is the first time we’ve ever done anything normal together. Peeta Mellark, p. 162

The reporter has simply been incorporated into the old footage. She’s not in District 13 at all. Which begs the question. What is? Katniss Everdeen, p. 163

Haymitch isn’t flat-out drunk, but he doesn’t look to steady, either. I guess the rumors about Ripper being back in business are true. Katniss Everdeen, p. 168

Here in Twelve, it’s got to be all of us or nothing. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 168

The idea that Thirteen has somehow rebounded and the Capitol is ignoring it? That sounds like the kind of rumor desperate people cling to. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 169

Let’s get Katniss Everdeen to her wedding in style. Caesar Flickerman, p. 170

The anthem plays, and my throat tightens with revulsion as President Snow takes the stage. Katniss Everdeen, p. 171

Then I get it, what it means. At least, for me. District 12 only has three existing victors to choose from. Two male. One female…I am going back to the arena. Katniss Everdeen, p. 173

Victors are out of the reaping for life. That’s the deal if you win. Until Now. Katniss Everdeen, p. 175

Yes, victors are our strongest. They’re the ones who survived the arena and slipped the noose of poverty that strangles the rest of us.  They, or should I say we, are the very embodiment of hope where there is no hope. And now twenty-three of us will be killed to show how even that hope was an illusion.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 175-176

I already know what will happen. Peeta will ask Haymitch to let him go into the arena with me no matter what.Katniss Everdeen, p. 176

Finally did the math, did you, sweetheart? Worked out you won’t be going in alone? Haymitch Abernathy, p. 176-177
 
I came for a drink. Katniss Everdeen, p. 177

You hate life anyways. Katniss Everdeen, p. 177

And since last time I tried to keep you [Katniss] alive…seems like I’m obligated to save the boy this time. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 177

While I was wallowing around on the floor of that cellar, thinking only of myself, he was here, thinking only of me. Katniss Everdeen, p. 178

You could live a hundred lifetimes and not deserve him you know. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 178

If it is Peeta and me in the Games, this time we try to keep him alive. Katniss Everdeen, p. 178

Like you said, it’s going to be bad no matter how you slice it. And whatever Peeta wants, it’s his turn to be saved. We both owe him that. Katniss Everdeen, p. 178

Besides, the Capitol hates me so much, I’m as good as dead now. He still might have a chance. Katniss Everdeen, p. 179

I was wrong. We should have gone when you said. Gale Hawthorne, p. 179

Over his shoulder, I see my mother and Prim clutching each other in the doorway. We run. They die. Katniss Everdeen, p. 179

I hear the glass bottle shatter on the floor. This seems appropriate since I have obviously lost my grip on everything.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 179

I open my mouth, planning to start off with some kind of joke, and burst into tears. Katniss Everdeen, p. 180

Looking at Prim’s face, it’s hard to imagine she’s the same frail little girl I left behind on reaping day nine months ago. Katniss Everdeen, p. 181

We can’t afford any drunkards on this team. Especially not you, Katniss. Peeta Mellark, p. 182

The point is that two of us are coming home from the Capitol. One mentor and one victor. Peeta Mellark, p. 183

…one of us is going to be a victor again whether you two like it or not! Peeta Mellark, p. 183

It’d be better if he were easier to hate. Gale Hawthorne, p. 185

Where would I be with my pretend cousin who wouldn’t be my cousin if it weren’t for Peeta? Katniss Everdeen, p. 185 

And i’m left staring out the window, watching District 12 disappear, with all my good-byes still hanging on my lips. Katniss Everdeen, p. 187

We’ll write letters, Katniss, it will be better anyway. Give them a piece of us to hold on to. Haymitch will deliver them for us if…they need to be delivered. Peeta Mellark, p. 188 

But I have a mission. No, it’s more than a mission. It’s my dying wish. Keep Peeta Alive. Katniss Everdeen, p. 189

Let them go I tell myself.Say good-bye and forget them. I do my best, thinking of them one by one, releasing them like birds from the protective cages inside me, locking the doors against their return. Katniss Everdeen, p. 189

Evidently, Effie doesn’t know that my mockingjay pin is now a symbol used by the rebels. Katniss Everdeen, p. 190
Because I can’t handle the nightmares. Not without you.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 192

I wrap my arms tightly around his neck before he can order me to do push-ups or something. Katniss Everdeen, p. 193

Warmth radiates from the spot where his lips just touch my neck, slowly spreading through the rest of me. It feels so good, so impossibly good, that I know I will not be the first to let go. Katniss Everdeen, p. 193

With forty-eight players? I’d say the odds are against it. Peeta Mellark, p. 197

They’ll still be one hundred percent as stupid as usual, so I figure my odds will be roughly the same. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 197
 
Now a new kind of confidence is lighting up inside of me, because I think I finally know who Haymitch is. And I’m beginning to know who I am. And surely, two people who have caused the Capitol so much trouble can think of a way to get Peeta home alive. Katniss Everdeen, p. 203

Had a damp morning?  Cinna, p. 205

I swear if you cry, I’ll kill you here and now. Katniss Everdeen, p. 205

Don’t worry. I always channel my emotions into my work.  That way I don’t hurt anyone but myself. Cinna, p. 205

Portia and I spent a lot of hours watching fires. Cinna, p. 206

Yes, I think your days of pink lipstick and ribbons are behind you. Cinna, p. 207

Want a sugar cube? Finnick Odair, p. 208
…you and I …well if we see something sweet, we better grab it quick. Finnick Odair, p. 208

The citizens of the Capitol have been drooling over him [Finnick] ever since. Katniss Everdeen, p. 209
I’m sure his stylist thinks the more of Finnick the audience sees, the better. Katniss Everdeen, p. 209

Having an eye for beauty isn’t the same thing as weakness. Except possibly when it comes to you. Peeta Mellark, p. 210

Do you think we’d have ended up like this if only one of us had one? Just another part of the freak show.  Peeta Mellark, p. 211

I look up into those blue eyes that no amount of dramatic makeup can make truly deadly and remember how, just a year ago, I was prepared to kill him. Katniss Everdeen, p. 212
 
Our hands find each other without further discussion. Of course we will go into this as one. Katniss Everdeen, p. 212

And I love it. Getting to be myself at last. Katniss Everdeen, p. 212

So gorgeous, I wanted to reach through the screen and tear it right off your back. Johanna Mason, p. 215

I am not! I’ve been practically ripping your clothes off every time there’s been a camera for the last year!Katniss Everdeen, p. 216

Yeah, but…I mean for the Capitol, you’re pure. For me, you’re perfect. Peeta Mellark, 216

Looks like they’ve got you a matched set this year. Effie Trinket, p. 216

What about you, girl on fire? Do you have any secrets worth my time? Finnick Odair, p. 218

Sorry, I slept in after the mutilated-tongue nightmares kept me up half the night. Katniss Everdeen, p 222

You mean you want us in the Career pack this year? Katniss Everdeen, p. 223

Remember, you’re not in a ring full of trembling children anymore. These people are experienced killers, no matter what shape they appear to be in. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 224

I think of how Peeta was always surrounded at school by a crowd of friends. It’s amazing, really, that he ever took any notice of me except to think that I was odd. Katniss Everdeen, p. 230

So at least half of the victors have instructed their mentors to request you as an ally. I know it can’t be your sunny personality. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 233

Actually, I saw her shoot, for real, for the first time. I’m about to put in a formal request myself. Peeta Mellark, p. 233

How are we going to kill these people, Peeta? Katniss Everdeen, p. 235

I carefully finger paint the words on its body, concealing them from view. Then I step away quickly to watch the reaction on the Gamemakers faces as they read the name on the dummy. Seneca Crane. Katniss Everdeen, p. 237

Actually I painted a picture of Rue. How she looked after Katniss has covered her in flowers. Peeta Mellark, p. 240

I just wanted to hold them accountable, if only for a moment. For killing that little girl. Peeta Mellark, p. 240

I guess this is a bad time to mention I hung a dummy and painted Seneca Crane’s name on it. Katniss Everdeen, p. 241
You . . . hung . . . Seneca Crane?  Cinna, p. 241

I was showing off my new knot-tying skills, and somehow he ended up at the end of the noose. Katniss Everdeen, p. 241

If you’re perfectly honest about it, you think President Snow has probably given them direct orders to make sure we die in the arena anyway. Katniss Everdeen, p. 243
 
If I can make it clear that I’m still defying the Capitol right up to the end, the Capitol will have killed me…but not my spirit. What better way to give hope to the rebels? Katniss Everdeen, p. 243

I didn’t realize until now how starved I’ve been for human closeness. For the feel of him beside me in the darkness. Katniss Everdeen, p. 244

I just want to spend every possible minute of the rest of my life with you. Peeta Mellark, p. 244

I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now, and live in it forever. Peeta Mellark, p. 245

The site of Peeta and me sleeping together is too much for Octavia , because she bursts into tears right away. Katniss Everdeen, p. 246

We would all like you to know what a . . . privilege it has been to make you look your best.  Venia, p. 247

Surely the creators of the Quarter Quell never anticipated such love forming between the victors and the Capitol. Johanna Mason, p. 251
By the time i’m introduced, the audience is an absolute wreck. Katniss Everdeen, p. 251

The sight of me in my white silk bridal gown practically causes a riot. Katniss Everdeen, p. 251 

Because Cinna has turned me into a Mockingjay. Katniss Everdeen, p. 252

What has he [Cinna] done. An act of rebellion in itself. And he’s done it for me. Katniss Everdeen, p. 253

Don’t worry. I always channel my emotions into my work. That way I don’t hurt anyone but myself. Cinna, p. 253

We’re already married. Peeta Mellark, p. 255

There. He’s done it again. Dropped a bomb that wipes out the efforts of every tribute who came before him. Well, maybe not. Maybe this year he has only lit the fuse on a bomb that the victors themselves have been building. Hoping someone would be able to detonate it.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 256

By the time the anthem plays its final strains, all twenty-four of us stand in one unbroken line in what must be the first public show of unity among the districts since the Dark Days. Katniss Everdeen, p. 258

There isn’t much time, so tell me. Is there anything I have to apologize for? Peeta Mellark, p. 258

I do. Of course, he could never back down now. The only option left to him is to strike back, and strike back hard. Katniss Everdeeen, p. 259

You just remember who the enemy is.  Haymitch Abernathy, p. 260

Slowly I raise my eyes and take in the water spreading out in every direction. I can only form one clear thought.  This is no place for a girl on fire.”  Katniss Everdeen, p. 263

Part III: “The Enemy”
My refusal to play the Games on the Capitol’s terms is to be my last act of rebellion. Katniss Everdeen, p. 267

We have a big bathtub. Katniss Everdeen, p. 269

Haymitch gave it to him.  As a signal to me. An order, really. To trust Finnick.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 270

Well I can’t leave Mags behind, she’s one of the few people who actually like me. Finnick Odair, p. 273

…you all knew each other. You acted like friends. Katniss Everdeen, p. 276

I have one real friend in here. And he isn’t from District 4. Katniss Everdeen, p. 276

…whatever happened in the past is in the past. And no one in this arena was a victor by chance. Except maybe Peeta. Finnick Odair, p. 277

…I’m stopped by the sight of Finnick kissing Peeta.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 280

His lashes open and his eyes meet mine. ‘Careful,” he says weakly. ‘There’s a force field ahead.’ I laugh, but there are tears running down my cheeks. Katniss Everdeen, p. 281 

It’s okay. It’s just her hormones, from the baby. Finnick Odair, p. 282

All I wanted was to keep Peeta alive, and I couldn’t and Finnick could, and I should be nothing by grateful. And I am. But I am also furious because it means that I will never stop owing Finnick Odair. Ever. So how can I kill him in his sleep? Katniss Everdeen, p. 282

Yes, I think your days of pink lipstick and ribbons are behind you. Cinna, p. 287

Why don’t we let Peeta claim it, since he died today? Finnick Odair, p. 292

Something’s wrong with this fog. The progression of the front line is too uniform to be natural. And if it’s not natural… Katniss Everdeen, p. 297

I can see Finnick’s eyes, green in the moonlight. I can see them as clear as day. Almost like a cat’s, with a strange reflective quality. Maybe because they are shiny with tears.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 301

With my paint box at home, I can make every color imaginable. Pink. As pale as a baby’s skin. Or as deep as rhubarb. Green like spring grass. Blue that shimmers like ice on water. Peeta Mellark, p. 312

I haven’t figured out a rainbow yet. They come so quickly and leave so soon. Peeta Mellark, p. 313

Hey, Haymitch, if you’re not too drunk, we could use a little something for our skin. Katniss Everdeen, p. 315

Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven’t looked pretty? Katniss Everdeen, p. 316

…I’m thinking that maybe Finnick Odair is all right. At least he is not as vain or self-important as I’d thought. Katniss Everdeen, p. 317

Be friends with Finnick. You’ll get food. Katniss Everdeen, p. 317

Yeah, we know. Tick, tock. Nuts is in shock.  Johanna Mason, p. 320

I wonder if this is what it’s like to have an older sister who really hates you. Katniss Everdeen, p. 324
 
Tick, Tock. This is a clock. Katniss Everdeen, p. 325

…the only thing that distracts me from my current situation is fantasizing about killing President Snow. Not very pretty daydreams for a seventeen-year-old girl, I guess, but very satisfying. Katniss Everdeen, p. 329

…that’s when I notice it. The silence. Our canary has stopped singing. Katniss Everdeen, p. 332

…maybe it’s because of that underlying goodness that he can move a crowd–no, a country–to his side with the simple turn of a sentence. Katniss Everdeen, p. 338

..nothing Haymitch can send in a parachute will help either Finnick or me recover from the wounds the birds have inflicted. Katniss Everdeen, p. 343

..I just stare at his face, doing my best to hang on to my sanity. Katniss Everdeen, p. 344

Whole country in rebellion? Wouldn’t want anything like that! Johanna Mason, p. 346

They can’t hurt me. I’m not like the rest of you. There’s no one left I love. Johanna Mason, p. 347

So, that’s who Finnick loves. Not his string of fancy lovers in the Capitol. but a poor, mad girl back home. Katniss Everdeen, p. 348

Katniss, it’s no use pretending we don’t know what the other one is trying to do. Peeta Mellark, p. 350

If you die, and I live, there’s no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You’re my whole life. I would never be happy again.  Peeta Mellark, p. 351

No one really needs me. Peeta Mellark
 
I do. I need you. Katniss Everdeen, p. 352
 
I realize only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me. Katniss Everdeen, p. 352

I thought I was something of an expert on hunger, but this is an entirely new kind. Katniss Everdeen, p. 353

As I drift off, I try to imagine that world, somewhere in the future, with no Games, no Capitol. A place like the meadow in the song I sang to Rue as she died. Where Peeta’s child could be safe. Katniss Everdeen, p. 354

There can only be one victor and it has to be Peeta. I must accept this. I must make decisions based on his survival only.  Katniss Everdeen, p. 357

For the few remaining hours of my life I will keep it close. This last gift from Peeta.  The only one I can really accept. Perhaps it will give me strength in the final moments. Katniss Everdeen, p. 365

I look coolly into the blue eyes of the person who is now my greatest opponent, the person who would keep me alive at his own expense. And I promise myself I will defeat his plans. Katniss Everdeen, p. 365-366

Yes, I know who the enemy is. And it’s not Enobaria. Katniss Everdeen, p. 378

Done knocking yourself out sweetheart? Haymitch Abernathy, p. 384

So it’s you and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans. Haymitch Abernathy, p. 384

We had to save you because you’re the mockingjay, Katniss. While you live, the revolution lives. Plutarch Heavensbee, p. 386

The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the watch, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames.  I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol’s plans. The symbol of the rebellion. Katniss Everdeen, p. 386-387

Technically I am unarmed. But no one should underestimate the harm that fingernails can do, especially if the target is unprepared. Katniss Everdeen, p. 387

Even if the rebel forces could somehow overthrow the Capitol, you can be sure President Snow’s last act would be to cut Peeta’s throat. No. I will never get him back. So then dead is best. Katniss Everdeen, p. 389

0 comments:

Post a Comment